Saturday, October 6, 2018

Bison score early, often in beating Marvell for first win

Carlisle's Davarius Allen heads into the end zone during the Bison's win over Marvell. (Photo by Mark Buffalo)

By Mark Buffalo
Staff Writer

CARLISLE — The Marvell Mustangs were just what the doctor ordered for the Carlisle Bison football team.
Carlisle scored 52 first-quarter points in a 66-12 win over the Mustangs on Thursday at Fred C. Hardke Field. The win was the first for new head coach Caleb Shock and the Bison are now 1-4-1 overall and 1-2 in 2A-6 play.
“These guys have been working hard since coming back the week after the dead period in July,” Shock said. “We put in a lot of work in July and August and all through September. It was time for a win in Week 1 but it didn’t happen in Week 1 and every other week after that. But it was just good to get one Thursday night. I think the guys are really trying to do things the right way. I’m glad it was able to pay off for them on the scoreboard.”
Carlisle got the ball to start the game. After a long kickoff return by Kamryn Taylor, his teammate Mitchell Couch recovered his fumble at the Marvell 20. Two plays later Davarius Allen scored on a 2-yard run with 11:12 left to give the Bison a 6-0 lead.
Marvell fumbled the ensuing kickoff with Carlisle’s Will Carter recovering the ball at the Marvell 34. Three plays later, Bison quarterback Braiden Jenkins scored on a 5-yard run. He threw to Carter for the two-point conversion to make the score 14-0. 
Carlisle’s third touchdown came on a 38-yard run by Taylor with 7:35 left. Kaden Bray scored the two-point conversion to make the score 22-0.
Marvell fumbled the next kickoff with Carter recovering again. That led to Taylor scoring on a 13-yard run with 4:45 left and Bray adding the two-point conversion, making the score 30-0.
After a Marvell punt, the Bison scored again on a 19-yard run by Jenkins with 2:41 left, bringing the score to 36-0.
Marvell fumbled again on the next kickoff and the Bison pushed the lead to 4-0 on a 10-yard run by Jasean Harper. Allen added the two-point conversion, making the score 44-0.
The Bison’s final first-quarter touchdown came on a 25-yard run by Taylor with 31 seconds left. Jenkins scored the two-point conversion. 
Marvell scored the next two touchdowns to make the score 52-12. 
Carlisle scored a defensive touchdown when Carter returned an interception 65 yards for a touchdown. Collin Jinks also scored a touchdown on a  33-yard run. Bray added the two-point conversion. 
Taylor led the Bison with 76 yards rushing on three carries. Harper had 60 yards on four carries. Allen had 45 yards on six carries. 
C.J. James led the Bison with five tackles. 
Shock said he thinks the Bison can build off this win. 
“Two weeks ago, beginning of the Des Arc week, we scrapped a lot of what we were doing on offense,” Shock said, referring to the spread. “We installed the Wing T. We were already doing some Wing T principles. It wasn’t like it was a completely different concept. We basically put in a new offense. Every week, right now for us with these guys, is getting on the film and taking the things we did well, taking the things we thought we did well, and going back and learning off those. We did that Friday afternoon.
“We tried to learn a lot about blocking schemes and what we needed to do better, especially on the offensive side of the ball. The kids are learning a few new blocking rules. Each week, we’ve got to build off that and get better. Hopefully, we’ll be prepared where we’re sitting in a spot to where we are playing in the playoffs and have some things polished up by then.”
The Bison host Marianna for homecoming this Friday. 

No comments: