Saturday, October 15, 2016

Bison rout undefeated Patriots, 38-12

Carlisle's Ian Seidenschwarz scores a Bison TD against Palestine-Wheatley. (Photos by Mark Buffalo)

By Mark Buffalo
Staff Writer

CARLISLE — For the first time in three seasons, the Carlisle Bison have won three games in a row and have a winning record at any point during the season.
The Bison improved to 4-3 overall and 3-2 in 2A-6 play with an impressive 38-12 win over previously unbeaten Palestine-Wheatley on Friday night at Fred C. Hardke Field. 
The Patriots entered the game at 6-0 and 5-0 in league play. 
“They are all big from now on,” Bison coach Mark Uhiren said. “We feel like we messed up big time at Augusta. I’m not saying they are a lesser team or anything like that but I think we’re much better than we put on that night.”
Against Augusta, the Bison fell behind 36-0 before rallying to within 10 at 42-32 before losing 50-32. 
“We did put on a show and scored 32 points but they just got up on us,” Uhiren said. “It was one of those things that kept getting away from us. The Des Arc game could have gone either way. We had it. We just should have clinched it.
“We feel like we messed up twice. So, we’ve got to make amends for that. That’s the way we’re approaching it — a game at a time. If we can stay focused a game at a time, we’ll be okay.”
The Bison got the ball to start the game then drove 65 yards in 12 plays with Devon Kendrick scoring on a 9-yard run with 6:38 left in the first quarter. The extra point was no good, leaving the score at 6-0.
The next three plays were some of the strangest anyone will ever see. Carlisle’s Carson Cunningham intercepted a Palestine-Wheatley pass. The Bison then fumbled the ball back to the Patriots. Kendrick then recovered a Palestine-Wheatley fumble at the Patriots 30.
Six plays later, freshman Ian Seidenschwarz scored on a 4-yard run with 2:10 left in the first quarter. Kendrick added the two-point conversion to give the Bison a 14-0 lead.
The Patriots got on the board when Garrett Wilson ran 57 yards for a touchdown with 4 seconds left in the first quarter, making the score 14-6.
After the teams traded punts, the Bison drove 75 yards in seven plays with Kendrick scoring on a 23-yard run with 4:14 left in the first half. Ty Golleher added the two-point conversion to give the Bison a 22-6 lead.
The Bison got the ball back after Tristan Seidenschwarz recovered a Patriots fumble at the Bison 43 with 3:03 left in the first half. 
A key play in the game happened on this drive. Facing fourth down, the Bison went for it on fourth-and-nine from their own 44. Carlisle’s Jasean Harper was able to drag defenders for a 16-yard gain and a first down. Four plays later, Harper broke away from the defenders and scored a touchdown on a 30-yard run on the final play of the first half. Golleher added the two-point conversion to give the Bison a 30-6 halftime lead.
The Patriots scored their second touchdown with 6:49 left in the third quarter. Carter Milton threw a 36-yard touchdown pass to Jarod Ferguson. The two-point conversion failed, leaving the score at 30-12.
The Bison capped the scoring when Kendrick scored on an 11-yard run with 4:43 left in the game. Cunningham then threw to Zach Caviness for the two-point conversion to make the score 38-12.
Golleher led the Bison with 149 yards rushing on 28 carries. Kendrick had 122 yards on 13 carries. Harper had 55 yards on five carries.
The Bison are currently in fourth place in the 2A-6 conference behind Des Arc and Palestine-Wheatley. They are a half game behind McCrory, which is 4-2 in league play.
Carlisle travels to Brinkley this Friday before hosting Clarendon and McCrory to end the season. 

Bison coach Mark Uhiren talks to linemen Tyler Sanders and Houston Garrich. 

No comments: