Saturday, September 24, 2016

Late TD lifts Eagles past Bison

Carlisle's Gray Amaden [51] heads into the end zone for a touchdown after the Bison blocked a Des Arc punt. Also pictured for Carlisle is Jasean Harper [1]. (Photos by David Sanders)

By Mark Buffalo
Staff Writer 

DES ARC — In a classic battle of traditional heavyweights in Class 2A, Carlisle’s game with Des Arc didn’t disappoint — with the exception of the final score.
Des Arc scored two late touchdowns, including one with 15 seconds left, to knock off the Bison 32-28 on Friday night at Rollins Hinson Stadium. 
The Bison led 28-20 following a 49-yard run by Ty Golleher with 8:11 left in the third quarter. Devon Kendrick added the two-point conversion.
Carlisle had a chance to score again early in the fourth quarter, getting inside the Des Arc 20 but turned the ball over on downs. That led to Des Arc pulling to within two at 28-26 following a 24-yard run by Ontario Conway with 4:21 left in the game. The two-point conversion failed.
Des Arc recovered the ensuing squib kick at the Bison 42. The Eagles then got the ball inside the Bison 20 but they fumbled with Carlisle’s Jaseaon Harper recovering the ball at the Carlisle 13. 
However, the Bison were forced into a three and out and forced to punt. Kendrick booted a 40-yard punt but the Eagles returned the ball to the Carlisle 48 with 1:12 left.
A few plays later, Des Arc quarterback Garrett Goodman threw an 11-yard touchdown pass to Dillon Conway with 15 seconds left in the game.
The Bison then threw three incomplete passes to end the game.
Carlisle, which is now 1-3 overall and 0-2 in 2A-6 play, led 6-0 on an 11-yard run by Kendrick with 2:21 left in the first quarter. 
Des Arc took an 8-6 lead when Ontario Conway scored on a 34-yard run with 1:46 left in the first quarter. He also scored the two-point conversion. 
Des Arc pushed its lead to 14-6 when Dillon Conway scored on a 70-yard run with 9:09 left in the first half. Carlisle cut the deficit to 14-12 when Ian Seidenschwarz scored on a 5-yard run with 4:23 left. 
Des Arc led 20-12 at halftime following a 27-yard pass from Goodman to Isaiah Williams with 2:27 left in the half.
The Bison tied the game at 20-20 when Seidenschwarz blocked a punt and Carlisle’s Gray Amaden returned it for a touchdown with 9:45 left in the third quarter. Kendrick added the two-point conversion.
Golleher, playing in his first game since suffering a concussion against Lonoke in Week 1, rushed for 128 yards on 22 carries. Kendrick had 69 yards on 17 carries.
Ontario Conway led Des Arc with 97 yards rushing on 17 carries. He also had 14 tackles. Dillon Conway had 92 yards rushing on 10 carries. Williams had 46 yards on three carries. He caught four passes for 66 yards. On defense, he had 20 tackles. 
The Bison host winless Marvell in a conference game this Friday at Fred C. Hardke Field. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

Carlisle's Devon Kendrick takes a handoff from quarterback Carson Cunningham. 

No comments: