Saturday, September 10, 2016

Bison rally past Dragons for first non-conference win in three seasons

The Carlisle Bison offensive line head to the line of scrimmage during its game with Lonoke in Week 1. The Bison beat DeWitt 30-26 on Friday night. (Photo by Mark Buffalo)

By Mark Buffalo
Staff Writer

CARLISLE — The Carlisle Bison won their first non-conference game in three years as they rallied to beat the Class 4A DeWitt Dragons 30-26 on Friday night at Fred C. Hardke Field.
The Bison (1-1) trailed 20-18 heading into the fourth quarter.
Carlisle took a 24-18 lead with 8:09 left in the game on a 9-yard run by Devon Kendrick. The two-point conversion was no good.
DeWitt responded with another go-ahead score with 4:54 left when Dee Dee Bradford scored on a 15-yard run. The two-point conversion was no good, leaving the score at 26-24.
The Bison got the ball at their own 42. Brent Bowlan then ran 17 yards on two carries to move the ball to the DeWitt 42. 
Kendrick then ran 15 yards. Bowlan set up the winning touchdown with a 12-yard run to the DeWitt 17. From there, Kendrick finished off the drive with a 17-yard touchdown run with 2:20 left. The two-point conversion was no good, leaving the Bison ahead 30-26.
DeWitt got the ball at its own 38. They gained two first downs before turning the ball over on downs at the Carlisle 48 with 13 seconds left. The Bison then kneeled out the clock to get the victory.
Kendrick led the Bison with 191 yards rushing on 30 carries. Bowman had 38 yards on 10 carries. Tristan Seidenschwarz had 21 yards on six carries. 
DeWitt got on the board first as quarterback Jamari Gamble scored on a 19-yard run with 3:27 left in the first quarter. Layne Ballew scored the two-point conversion. 
Carlisle got to within two at 8-6 when Kendrick scored on a 2-yard run on the first play of the second quarter.
The Bison then took a 12-9 lead on a 4-yard run by Bowlan with 4:23 left in the first half.
That lead didn’t last long as Ballew returned the ensuing kickoff 78 yards for a touchdown to give the Dragons a 14-12 lead.
Carlisle led 18-12 at halftime when Jasean Harper returned an interception 45 yards for a touchdown with 1:56 left in the second quarter.
The Bison open 2A-6 conference play this Friday at Augusta. The Red Devils are 1-1 after beating Marvell 44-14 in their conference opener Friday night. 

No comments: