Friday, October 3, 2014

Bison bounce back for rout of Mustangs

Carlisle's Clinton Hampton leaps a pile while running for part of his 300 yards during the Bison's win over Marvell.
(Photos by Mark Buffalo)

By Mark Buffalo
Staff Writer

CARLISLE — The Carlisle Bison got a much-needed win, beating the Marvell Mustangs 54-12 on Friday night at Fred C. Hardke Field.
Carlisle is now 2-3 overall and 2-1 in 2A-6 Conference play. 
"It felt like the closest blowout ever," first-year Bison coach Jack Keith said. "Defensively, I thought we played well. Offensively, we basically ran one play all night. They kept giving it to us and we kept taking it."
The Bison rushed for 455 yards on 30 carries. Clinton Hampton led the way with 300 yards on only 11 carries. He scored on runs of 58, 30, 57 and 65 yards. Jacob Cagle had 128 yards on 14 carries. He scored on runs of 2 and 39 yards. 
"He hits the hole hard and he's gone, especially when we get in the I set," Keith said of Hampton. "Cagle ran the ball real hard."
While he said the defense played well, Keith said they have room for improvement after giving up 179 yards rushing and 151 yards passing. 
"There were still way too many missed tackles," he said. "You've got to play the ball better when it's in the air. The first half was a story of missed opportunities. I was proud. We came out and played hard for four quarters. It was a big win for us."
The Bison took an 8-0 lead with 8:57 left in the first quarter. Cagle scored on a 2-yard run and Hampton added the two-point conversion. 
Marvell responded quickly when Jarred Murphy went 71 yards for a Mustangs touchdown. The two-point conversion was no good, leaving the Bison ahead at 8-6. 
Carlisle pushed its lead to 16-6 when Hampton scored on a  58-yard run with 4:51 left in the first quarter. He added the two-point conversion.
The Bison led 22-6 at halftime after Hampton scored on a 30-yard run with 1:55 left in the half. The two-point conversion was no good.
Marvell cut the deficit to 22-12 early in the second half when Murphy scored on a 46-yard run. 
Carlisle scored four second-half touchdowns. Hampton scored on runs of 57 and 65 yards and scored the two-point conversion on both scores.
Cagle scored on a 39-yard run with 9:57 left. He added the two-point conversion.
Tyler Sanders scored Carlisle's final touchdown on a 28-yard run with 5:24 left. Lineman Dylan Brazeal, lined up at fullback, scored the two-point conversion, accounting for the final score.
Carlisle will travel to Hazen to play the Hornets next Friday. Game time is 7 p.m.
"We're sitting where need to be," Keith said of the 2-1 conference mark. "If we just take care of our business, we'll be all right."

Carlisle's Tyler Teel hits Marvel quarterback Eddie Green, causing a fumble.

Brynden Weems [10] carries the ball after recovering a fumble. 

No comments: