Monday, September 15, 2014

Second quarter dooms Bison in 34-32 loss to 4A Dragons

Carlisle's Clinton Hampton [1] follows the blocking of Colton Isbell during the Bison's game
with England on Sept. 5. Hampton rushed for 303 yards against DeWitt last week. (Photo by Mark Buffalo)

By Mark Buffalo
Staff Writer

CARLISLE — The Carlisle Bison got off to a quick start but a bad second quarter doomed them in a 34-32 loss to Class 4A DeWitt on Friday night at Fred C. Hardke Field. 
The Bison took a 16-0 lead in the first quarter. Clinton Hampton scored on a 4-yard run and added the two-point conversion. He scored on a 4-yard run with 5:36 left in the first quarter. Jacob Cagle added the two-point conversion.
Then there was the second quarter.
DeWitt scored 31 points to lead 31-16 at halftime.
DeWitt's Jake Rieves scored on a  2-yard run on the first play of the second quarter. Jamari Gamble scored the two-point conversion to make the score 16-8.
Dayne Van Camp then scored on a 51-yard run with 7:49 left. Rieves scored the two-point conversion to tie the game at 16-16.
DeWitt's Jamarious Bradford scored on an 18-yard run with 1:46 left in the first half. After the two-point conversion, the Dragons led 24-16.
The Dragons then returned an interception 75 yards for a touchdown. Wayne Van Camp kicked the extra point to make the score 31-16 at halftime.
"We got off to a great start, scoring on our first two drives and stopping them on their first drive," Carlisle coach Jack Keith said. "You can't get off to a much better start that going up 16-0."
Keith said the Bison let it get away from them in the second quarter.
"We had a big fumble that led to a score for them … and they had another interception returned for another score," he said. "It kinda fell apart there in the second quarter. But I was proud of the way they bounced back after halftime. We were able to get back into it and kept moving the ball."
DeWitt pushed their lead to 34-16 on a  20-yard field goal early in the third quarter. The Bison then scored two third-quarter touchdowns. Hampton scored on a 1-yard run with 7:59 left. He scored the two-point conversion. Devon Kendrick returned a block punt 31 yards for a touchdown with 6:02 left. Zack Caviness scored the two-point conversion. 
Hampton led the Bison with 303 yards rushing on 31 carries. Cagle had 86 yards on 23 carries. 
Clay Parker led the Bison with 11 Dylan Brazeal had nine. Thomas McCallie had eight. Nick Schafer had an interception. 

"You take one quarter away and it's a big difference," Keith said of his team's performance against DeWitt. "We've got to keep competing and get rid of that one bad quarter and we'll be alright."
The Bison travel to Augusta for the 2A-6 conference opener Friday night. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.

No comments: